Tuesday 9 June 2009

Pirats Art Network and Hyperformalism.



Aliz and I went to check out Pirats. This is "instability", an interactive piece by Selavy Oh. The Slurl is.. this....well...that gets you to Oberons platform...see below...and you can tp from there.




This is by Oberon Onmura...




and this piece is by Comet Morigi.....

Full Marks on a couple of points...practically, first. 100% full marks for signage. Easy to navigate I wish, wish, wish, people would learn how to make seeing art this easy instead of banging into walls trying to find stairs etc. in Galleries designed by stupid people.

Full marks also because it is all OPISL art (only possible in second life)...:))

Hyperformalism, however, is exactly the sort of "branding" that drives me nuts, (see previous posts)..and... although I can agree to a certain extent with a statement I heard once...(something like)...that anything that sets out to be art is gonna fail.....I would also wonder that anything that sets out to avoid being art is in trouble too.

What am I talking about?

Well, the purity of the prim, where no textures are applied, is a strict parameter which can work very well.... but I am minded of my previous post about mistakes and I wonder if a piece is perfect, because it is basically pure script (which tolerates no mistake)...isn't it just an intellectual piece of machine function??
Now, because you can interact with Selavy's piece...that gives it an infinite range of possibilities.... but the other two pieces made me wonder. These are just functions ...like watching my car engine turn over....(not, dear reader that I have ever done that).... and, well, why?

Is there any aesthetic in 'non-aesthetic' art, or, more interestingly, is there any point??

:))

4 comments:

  1. soror, you are the Boswell of SL!
    (when you aren't being the Johnson :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, thank you, I am not sure the quality of my little ramblings can be compared to such literary gems...:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for blogging, and as always some really good points. marks for easy navigation all go to dc spensley, who curated this show. concerning the branding (mark goes to dc as well): that's apparently a controversial issue, see bryn oh's blog. personally, i prefer not to be pigeonholed (is that the right expression?).
    your question about whether experiencing such work is "like watching my car engine turn over". first a remark: oberon's work is interactive (fly through it), it has a texture, and there's even a notecard around with explanations. but back to your questions: scripts are instructions, and can contain mistakes. they are not perfect, just because the compiler understand them. just as any other instructions: if you tell your assistant how to execute part of a work and he understands it, that doesn't mean the work will be perfect. replace "assistant" with "graphics editing program" for a contemporary version.
    then the comparison with watching your car engine: that may indeed be pretty boring. but if it is the engine of an ocean liner shown at an exhibition without the functional context, then it may be an exciting experience.
    finally, concerning your last question: is there any non-aesthetic art, or is it just bad art then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Selavy, yes I obviously have much to learn....

    I have as much trouble with "Immersive' as I do with "hyperformalism" ...so that is definitely down to a personal thing.

    I stand corrected with Oberons work, I didn't know it was interactive, I never read notecards, I want to let my eyes do the work.... maybe I'm just lazy like that.

    I don't think the ocean liner engine at an exhibition would be one that would impress me, other than a fleeting curiosity, but then I may be in a minority and it may be hailed as a great piece of art.

    I don't know about the non-aesthetic art, it's really a recent question for me......currently I feel that if it is ugly it is not art, but I know that is a bit simplistic.
    Still, I am going with that at the moment...it seems that if I can't get the information and enjoyment through my eyes then there is a communication breakdown. (I am, of course, referring to the visual arts).

    ReplyDelete

stat